I shot a fireball

JFK Assassination
john geraghty

I shot a fireball

Post by john geraghty »

Hello all,
I thought that some of you might be interested to hear that I had the opportunity to fire a fireball last weekend. I had never shot a gun before that point in my life.
At 40 yards, with 5 shots I hit the dead center of the target 3 times.
There is quite a kick from it, but nothing I couldn't handle. One thing that stood out was the deafening boom emmitted from the gun as compared with other rifles that I shot.

I know that the target was stationary, but it was a mighty accurate weapon, even with me firing it.

My friends step dad was the one that took me shooting. He told me that it was accurate within 150 yards.

It was a fun gun to fire I must say. I took home a bullet and a casing. I have some photos of me firing the weapon, I will post them if anybody wants to see them.

John
francois bertrand

Post by francois bertrand »

did you notice smoke of gun when firing the Fireball ? able to continue to look into the scope after shooting ?
john geraghty

Post by john geraghty »

I didn't notice a lot of smoke to be honest, nothing visible as far as I could see.
I was looking directly ahead so it was not difficult to refix my eye on the target. You would not be able to see the target immediately after firing it due to the kick of the weapon. It takes a second or two to refix your line of sight.
John
dankbaar

Post by dankbaar »

Yes, the boom is impressive. Like the muzzle flash (a real fireball) .

Wim
Mark Johansson

Post by Mark Johansson »

I recommend strongly using ear protectors or otherwise your hearing will fade away.

Mark
john geraghty

Post by john geraghty »

I did use ear plugs as whenever I shot it without them it was painful to hear.
It makes me wonder how clear people would have a heard such a shot or something similiar from the knoll on Nov 22. I wonder to what extent the noise of the crowd would be able to drown the noise of a gunshot out.

John
dankbaar

Post by dankbaar »

Since Miss Woodward’s report was prepared so soon after the assassination by an actual eyewitness, it was certainly an important account of the events. As she emphasized in her 1988 interview, the story was “absolutely my own impressions; it was not from anything anyone had said or what I had read or heard…â€
Dan

Post by Dan »

What vintage Fireball did you use?

I would like to purchase an early 60's model - complete with case etc. I saw and add for an XP-100 for $750 that looks interesting.

What scope did Mr. Files use? I want to reproduce the weapon as much as possible.
dankbaar

Post by dankbaar »

Dan wrote:What scope did Mr. Files use? I want to reproduce the weapon as much as possible.

He said a 3 power scope.
john geraghty

Post by john geraghty »

Hi Dan,
I'm not sure on the specifics of the gun itself, I will ask the guy who took me shooting. His was custom made. I will ask him where you might get one and a reasonable price.
John