That Pesky Remington XP-100

JFK Assassination
ChristophMessner

Re: That Pesky Remington XP-100

Post by ChristophMessner »

Well, not that often. I'm just used to CNC-milling and -turning machines and I wondered, cause usually if you dissemble and assemble again, it's always a bit different afterwards than before in the 1/100th mm range.
Dealey Joe

Post by Dealey Joe »

wouldn't you think that something precisley milled and fitted would be apt to fit?would make a difference depending on distance maybe if it was off a bit.not noticable at 30 yards might be an inch or two at a thousand yards?In the case of scope mounts one mount side stays affixed to the gun and the other half set to the scope.so there is no change in the mount. premium mounts work well w, I have used these successfully without resighting.
andries

Post by andries »

I agree Joe, it sure can be done,off course it depends on how you handle it and what scope you use.That was never an issue for me But you must realise every time you take the scope offyour,e taking a risk,a calculated risk ?
ChristophMessner

Post by ChristophMessner »

Dealey Joe wrote:wouldn't you think that something precisley milled and fitted would be apt to fit?would make a difference depending on distance maybe if it was off a bit.not noticable at 30 yards might be an inch or two at a thousand yards? Of course, of course, your are right. I just wondered whether James Files would take any risk to loose the accuracy of the calibration any bit just before taking the shot. Obviously the precision was high enough and the distance small enough. Dealey Joe wrote:In the case of scope mounts one mount side stays affixed to the gun and the other half set to the scope.so there is no change in the mount. premium mounts work well w, I have used these successfully without resighting.Ok. So the Fireball is an even more precise weapon+scope than the weapon you used and the distance was really ridiculously small to that weapon on 22/11/63?
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

This was where I came into the forum actually. I had watched some of the unauthorized youtube postings with Files on them. I was very much impressed, but I did have the nagging question of whether James Files would have to resite his weapon after using his scope to look around the plaza. Joe might have finally answered that question for me about whether is was possible to use the scope this way, and return it to the weapon later with assurance that it would still do the job.I still question though whether it would have been practical to do this in public at all. It would still bring more attention, then just using binoculars or a camera with zooming capability. Also just any risk seems to much to me. If you were making the shot of your life, but taking Mr. Files at his word with his words it could be that his immaturity at the time did not consider risk. One example is just the leaving of the shell case with his bite marks.
Dealey Joe

Post by Dealey Joe »

Kirk I done things when I was 21 that I would not even try today.Amazing what I got by with when I didnt know betterSome of them make me blush I think he could do that without much trouble.I guess always a chance someone might see you but probably no one would think a lot about ita guy with a telescope. If they saw the gun might have been different.Good posibility someone did see him but just kept quiet
Bob

Post by Bob »

Dealey Joe wrote:Kirk I done things when I was 21 that I would not even try today.Amazing what I got by with when I didnt know betterSome of them make me blush I think he could do that without much trouble.I guess always a chance someone might see you but probably no one would think a lot about ita guy with a telescope. If they saw the gun might have been different.Good posibility someone did see him but just kept quietThe fake Secret Service guys knew someone was there shooting. They may not have know WHO...but they knew someone from the company was there. It was their job to keep people away long enough for the shooter (or shooters) to flee. They did their job well. So did Jimmy, unfortunately. But even if Jimmy had not taken a shot, the last round from Chuck Nicoletti would have killed JFK. That's what happens when you slow down...brake...and stop...in a killing zone. Right Bill Greer?
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Joe, I also only have to look at my youth mispent as it was.Dealey Joe wrote:Kirk I done things when I was 21 that I would not even try today.Amazing what I got by with when I didnt know betterSome of them make me blush I think he could do that without much trouble.I guess always a chance someone might see you but probably no one would think a lot about ita guy with a telescope. If they saw the gun might have been different.Good posibility someone did see him but just kept quiet
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Bob,Agreed on this, but I would think that he would let Jimmy know, just in case, or maybe he was a chaperone keeping an eye out and on Jimmy. If you have Files there to shoot, could you have Badgeman also?Good posibility someone did see him but just kept quiet[/quote]The fake Secret Service guys knew someone was there shooting. They may not have know WHO...but they knew someone from the company was there. It was their job to keep people away long enough for the shooter (or shooters) to flee. They did their job well. So did Jimmy, unfortunately. But even if Jimmy had not taken a shot, the last round from Chuck Nicoletti would have killed JFK. That's what happens when you slow down...brake...and stop...in a killing zone. Right Bill Greer?[/quote]
Dealey Joe

Post by Dealey Joe »

Kirk wrote:Joe, I also only have to look at my youth mispent as it was.Dealey Joe wrote:Kirk I done things when I was 21 that I would not even try today.Amazing what I got by with when I didnt know betterSome of them make me blush I think he could do that without much trouble.I guess always a chance someone might see you but probably no one would think a lot about ita guy with a telescope. If they saw the gun might have been different.Good posibility someone did see him but just kept quietWell I have enjoyed my life and still do.Hell I wouldn't change but very little if anything.I would just try to do more different things.wish I would have came to Dallas in 64 and looked up some of these witnessessurely someone did that? what happened to them?we didn't know anything but what the MSM was letting us know,