Travel advice

JFK Assassination
Nerrilyn Diefenbach

Travel advice

Post by Nerrilyn Diefenbach »

I am also pleased that Wim is keeping the site up and running. I am in the process of planning an itinary for a visit to the States in September next year. My travelling partner is not really interested in JFK but I couldn't possibly go without at least checking out Dallas. I will probably only have 1 day. Does anyone have any advice or tips that might be useful.thanksNerrilyn
Dealey Joe

Re: Travel advice

Post by Dealey Joe »

Nerrilyn how will you arrive in Dallas?
Bob

Post by Bob »

Nerrilyn Diefenbach wrote:I am also pleased that Wim is keeping the site up and running. I am in the process of planning an itinary for a visit to the States in September next year. My travelling partner is not really interested in JFK but I couldn't possibly go without at least checking out Dallas. I will probably only have 1 day. Does anyone have any advice or tips that might be useful.thanksNerrilynYes Nerrilyn, I have some advice...don't go to the 6th Floor Museum at the TSBD run by Gary Fraud...er...Mack. Seriously, if you are in Dallas (Dealey Plaza) on a weekend, there is an excellent chance that Robert Groden will be there. Dealey Joe seems to be there quite often...hence his name in our forum...and I would utilize his expertise on where to go. Where in the States will you be going, besides Big D?
Nerrilyn Diefenbach

Will fly from San Francisco to Dallas then on to New York and Washington. I have to go to the 6th Floor of the TSBD even if it's just so I can tell others what a joke it is. I've been told that the quickest way to see the most is to just do the typical tourist tour even if I have to bite my tongue and put up with all the jokes etc. I assume there are several of these types of tours. Are some more authentic then others. Driving myself around is not really an option as I don't think I'd cope with the change to driving on the RHS.Nerrilyn
Bob

Post by Bob »

Nerrilyn Diefenbach wrote:Will fly from San Francisco to Dallas then on to New York and Washington. I have to go to the 6th Floor of the TSBD even if it's just so I can tell others what a joke it is. I've been told that the quickest way to see the most is to just do the typical tourist tour even if I have to bite my tongue and put up with all the jokes etc. I assume there are several of these types of tours. Are some more authentic then others. Driving myself around is not really an option as I don't think I'd cope with the change to driving on the RHS.NerrilynYou are hitting 3 out of 4 great cities. Big D being the exception. Actually, the only reason people know about Dallas is the JFK assassination and the Cowboys.You will love San Francisco. Check out fisherman's wharf for sure. Alcatraz is an option as well. Lot's of other great sites. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. As Mark Twain once said..."The coldest winter I ever lived through was a summer in San Francisco." New York and Washington both have a TON of places to go. In DC, definitely check out Arlington National Cemetary and see JFK, RFK and many other national heroes. You also have the Smithsonian, the White House etc. If you like theater, try to catch a play in NYC. Central Park is great as well. Times Square is a trip in itself.
Nerrilyn Diefenbach

All those places are on my list Bob. Are you suggesting I should give dallas a miss?Nerrilyn
Bob

Post by Bob »

Nerrilyn Diefenbach wrote:All those places are on my list Bob. Are you suggesting I should give dallas a miss?NerrilynNo...especially if you are interested in this subject, as I know you are. All I know is that you won't believe how small Dealey Plaza looks once you are there. Try to catch Robert Groden if possible. I'm sure his new book will be out by then.
Dealey Joe

Post by Dealey Joe »

NarrilynI am not aware of any tours other than the cell phone tour of Dealey Plaza and the "Museum"It is a while before your trip but Martha and I would be pleased to pick you up at the airport ( DFW or Love) and take you on a driving tour of the area, Dealey, where LHO lived, the Paine's ect.or whatever you would like to see, and of course depending on any unforseen things that might happen between now and September.If this interests you we can make up the itenerary as it gets closer to the date.depending on the amount of time you have, there are a few other sights of Dallas to see.How many in your party?
Dealey Joe

Post by Dealey Joe »

I have found that the Dallas Historical Society has tours. $50. PP.Two each year, the last one was in October and the next in May of 2010Guesss they don't want to overdo it.
Nerrilyn Diefenbach

That's a really kind offer Joe. There will only be two of us. I guess I had envisaged that there would be something like the red double decker tourist buses that they have in Europe - well maybe a red white & blue minivan - but now that I think about it that probably is a bit silly. It's not like the TSBD equates to the Eiffel Tower or anything is it? I guess JFk does not necessarily hold the same significance for the younger generation either. As you say anything can happen between now and September but I would love to take you up on your offer all going to plan.Many thanks for your generosityNerrilyn