Warren Report - no index????

JFK Assassination
katisha

Warren Report - no index????

Post by katisha »

I've finally got me little mitts on Gaeton Fonzi's "The Last Investigation" (Thanks, Mary Ferrell website )I've only just started on it, but one of the things that struck me was a reference in the early pages to Sylvia Meagher's work. As you'll see by my new sig, I was very taken with a passage Fonzi quoted from her 1967 article in 'a small magazine called Minority of One'.I'll be trying to get a copy of the full article, but in the meantime the quote in TLI inspired me to do a search on Meagher, and I discovered (which probably most of you already know, but it was news to me) that one of the things she did was compile and publish a "Subject Index to the Warren Report and Hearings and Exhibits".What the hell? The Warren Commission published its 26 volumes without a subject index? Why on earth would they publish such a large and complex volume of material without an index?Could it be (or am I just a cynical old bat) that they didn't want people to be able to find anything in that mass of material?No, surely not. I am just a cynical old bat Aren't I?
Bob

Re: Warren Report - no index????

Post by Bob »

Yes Katisha, the Warren Commission was a farce in many ways. Tom Rossley is quite an expert on the Warren Commission, and he has quite a nice section on their "work" on his website...http://www.whokilledjfk.net/warren.htmI would encourage all here to check out Tom's work.By the way, Mary Ferrell has an awesome site as well.
kenmurray

Post by kenmurray »

Katisha, your right the WC didn't have an index. It was ridiculous. Plus 3 of the WC's own members, Russell, Boggs, and Cooper didn't believe in the Magic Bullet theory!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tspWgqJA ... Commission
SeamusCoogan

Post by SeamusCoogan »

katisha wrote:I've finally got me little mitts on Gaeton Fonzi's "The Last Investigation" (Thanks, Mary Ferrell website )I've only just started on it, but one of the things that struck me was a reference in the early pages to Sylvia Meagher's work. As you'll see by my new sig, I was very taken with a passage Fonzi quoted from her 1967 article in 'a small magazine called Minority of One'.I'll be trying to get a copy of the full article, but in the meantime the quote in TLI inspired me to do a search on Meagher, and I discovered (which probably most of you already know, but it was news to me) that one of the things she did was compile and publish a "Subject Index to the Warren Report and Hearings and Exhibits".What the hell? The Warren Commission published its 26 volumes without a subject index? Why on earth would they publish such a large and complex volume of material without an index?Could it be (or am I just a cynical old bat) that they didn't want people to be able to find anything in that mass of material?No, surely not. I am just a cynical old bat Aren't I?You really should look up Sylvia Meagher Katisha. She was the only person to write an entire index of the full 26 volumes of the commission. http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKmeagher.htmA good read is John Kelins "Praise for a future generation" which goes into detail about what Meagher ordealed writing it. Getting a copy of her book has been on my to do list for ages. Fonzi's book is superb thus your taste in assassination literature like your transcription skills are impeccable.
kenmurray

Post by kenmurray »

Another book that is on my list is "Breach Of Trust" by Gerald McKnight. It talks about the failings of the Warren Commission. Here is Jim D's review of it:http://www.ctka.net/breach.html
SeamusCoogan

Post by SeamusCoogan »

kenmurray wrote:Another book that is on my list is "Breach Of Trust" by Gerald McKnight. It talks about the failings of the Warren Commission. Here is Jim D's review of it:http://www.ctka.net/breach.htmlOh kenny boy its a must. You could borrow my copy but Im in NZ. SOB, Guess how much it cost me? 85 Dollars. Guess how much Fonzi's book cost me? 57. Kelins was about 60. Good job, Ken what I do is read Jims reviews as well and see what he rates Ill unearth his and Lisa's top tens and post em at some point.
kenmurray

Post by kenmurray »

SeamusCoogan wrote:kenmurray wrote:Another book that is on my list is "Breach Of Trust" by Gerald McKnight. It talks about the failings of the Warren Commission. Here is Jim D's review of it:http://www.ctka.net/breach.htmlOh kenny boy its a must. You could borrow my copy but Im in NZ. SOB, Guess how much it cost me? 85 Dollars. Guess how much Fonzi's book cost me? 57. Kelins was about 60. Good job, Ken what I do is read Jims reviews as well and see what he rates Ill unearth his and Lisa's top tens and post em at some point.Seamus, you have expensive tastes there in NZ lol. I'm sure I will get it on Amazon for much less I hope.
Phil Dragoo

Sylvia Meagher's herculean task

Post by Phil Dragoo »

I found the delicious excoriation of the execrable Gerald Posner at the hands of Harold Weisberg on pages 31-33 of the latter's Case Open (1994).And I quote:Posner's footnote condemning Meagher all over again, true gentleman that he is, says he read all those volumes, actually 10 million words, and he, in addition, indexed them because he found hers "biased." From the man who wrote this book, that is an appropriate criticism? His is openly biased in favor of the official "solution." So, "unable" to use hers, he "made a new card index." In addition to all he claims to have done could he possibly have indexed 10 million words too? I have all the Weisberg books, Meagher's Accessories, Lane's Rush--one is struck by the rigorous detail of these earliest critics.I would favorably contrast their rapier-work to the awful mud-plastering of Posner, Bugliosi, and the other hollow men, headpieces filled with straw.One cannot index what is not in the Warren Commission. David Sanchez Morales for example. David Atlee Phillips' meeting with Oswald. Jack Ruby's gun-running.With a few more epicycles Ptolemy will defend geocentrism against the heresy of heliocentrists.We emerge from the Dark Ages, owing much to the earliest lampholders, e.g., Sylvia Meagher.
katisha

Re: Sylvia Meagher's herculean task

Post by katisha »

Phil Dragoo wrote:I found the delicious excoriation of the execrable Gerald Posner at the hands of Harold Weisberg on pages 31-33 of the latter's Case Open (1994).And I quote:Posner's footnote condemning Meagher all over again, true gentleman that he is, says he read all those volumes, actually 10 million words, and he, in addition, indexed them because he found hers "biased." From the man who wrote this book, that is an appropriate criticism? His is openly biased in favor of the official "solution." So, "unable" to use hers, he "made a new card index." In addition to all he claims to have done could he possibly have indexed 10 million words too? I have all the Weisberg books, Meagher's Accessories, Lane's Rush--one is struck by the rigorous detail of these earliest critics.I would favorably contrast their rapier-work to the awful mud-plastering of Posner, Bugliosi, and the other hollow men, headpieces filled with straw.One cannot index what is not in the Warren Commission. David Sanchez Morales for example. David Atlee Phillips' meeting with Oswald. Jack Ruby's gun-running.With a few more epicycles Ptolemy will defend geocentrism against the heresy of heliocentrists.We emerge from the Dark Ages, owing much to the earliest lampholders, e.g., Sylvia Meagher.Yeah, nice post, PD. re your last sentence (my bolding), the more I read of the early critics, aka, in your phrase, the earliest lampholders, the more amazed I am that they've been so consistently ignored for 30 years or so.Anyone for a game of ostriches?
Bob

Re: Sylvia Meagher's herculean task

Post by Bob »

katisha wrote:Phil Dragoo wrote:I found the delicious excoriation of the execrable Gerald Posner at the hands of Harold Weisberg on pages 31-33 of the latter's Case Open (1994).And I quote:Posner's footnote condemning Meagher all over again, true gentleman that he is, says he read all those volumes, actually 10 million words, and he, in addition, indexed them because he found hers "biased." From the man who wrote this book, that is an appropriate criticism? His is openly biased in favor of the official "solution." So, "unable" to use hers, he "made a new card index." In addition to all he claims to have done could he possibly have indexed 10 million words too? I have all the Weisberg books, Meagher's Accessories, Lane's Rush--one is struck by the rigorous detail of these earliest critics.I would favorably contrast their rapier-work to the awful mud-plastering of Posner, Bugliosi, and the other hollow men, headpieces filled with straw.One cannot index what is not in the Warren Commission. David Sanchez Morales for example. David Atlee Phillips' meeting with Oswald. Jack Ruby's gun-running.With a few more epicycles Ptolemy will defend geocentrism against the heresy of heliocentrists.We emerge from the Dark Ages, owing much to the earliest lampholders, e.g., Sylvia Meagher.Yeah, nice post, PD. re your last sentence (my bolding), the more I read of the early critics, aka, in your phrase, the earliest lampholders, the more amazed I am that they've been so consistently ignored for 30 years or so.Anyone for a game of ostriches? Touche Katisha! Nicely put Phil!