Proof of the Knoll Shot: The Smoking Gun?

JFK Assassination
Bob Lilly

Proof of the Knoll Shot: The Smoking Gun?

Post by Bob Lilly »

In the NIX film we can see what looks like the muzzle flash of the knoll shot. There are two versions here. In the longer one the muzzle flash occurs about second number 11. In the shorter version it occures right at the beginning. Set your viewer to repeat. Study the top left corner of the screen (do not look at kennedy until you are comfortable about the flash location). The flash extends from outside the left of screen (behind picket fence?) downward and to the right from the top corner of the wall and tracing across the shadow of the wall. Note that the location, trajectory and timing are all perfect as a split second later a chuck of kennedy's head flies off to the rear. There are other interesting things on this film but is this the prrof, the "smoking gun"?
http://www.jfk-online.com/1nix.html
Johan van Leeuwen

Re: Proof of the Knoll Shot: The Smoking Gun?

Post by Johan van Leeuwen »

Bob Lilly wrote:In the NIX film we can see what looks like the muzzle flash of the knoll shot. There are two versions here. In the longer one the muzzle flash occurs about second number 11. In the shorter version it occures right at the beginning. Set your viewer to repeat. Study the top left corner of the screen (do not look at kennedy until you are comfortable about the flash location). The flash extends from outside the left of screen (behind picket fence?) downward and to the right from the top corner of the wall and tracing across the shadow of the wall. Note that the location, trajectory and timing are all perfect as a split second later a chuck of kennedy's head flies off to the rear. There are other interesting things on this film but is this the prrof, the "smoking gun"?http://www.jfk-online.com/1nix.html

How can you tell this is a muzzle flash?
Bob Lilly

Post by Bob Lilly »

Good Question Johan,
It would be nice if we could get some more expert opinions. The more I look at it I become convinced that this is the Proof.
1. Note that the muzzle flash is cone shaped or funnel shaped spreading wider as it moves from the gun towards Kennedy.
2. The location, direction, timing of the muzzle flash and reaction of his head are perfect.
3. I have some experience with guns and it looks like muzzle flash to me.
4. The colors appear to be blue and greenish which are consistent with unburned elements emerging from the barrel such as copper oxide and barium nitrate.
5. Assault rifles using Remington ammo such as the .223 had problems in Vietnam with muzzle flash and had to use flash supressors even though they had a 16 inch barrel. Muzzle flash would probably be even greater with XP-100 cause its barrel is only about 10".
6. The fireball ammo .222 and later.221 is even more powerful and I suspect we would find that the XP-100 had pronounced muzzle flash.
7. The muzzle flash emerges from the grassy knoll and is pointed at kennedy at the timing of the last (head) shot.
Looking forward to more comments.
Jim Thompson

Post by Jim Thompson »

Bob Lilly wrote:Good Question Johan,It would be nice if we could get some more expert opinions. The more I look at it I become convinced that this is the Proof. 1. Note that the muzzle flash is cone shaped or funnel shaped spreading wider as it moves from the gun towards Kennedy. 2. The location, direction, timing of the muzzle flash and reaction of his head are perfect.3. I have some experience with guns and it looks like muzzle flash to me.4. The colors appear to be blue and greenish which are consistent with unburned elements emerging from the barrel such as copper oxide and barium nitrate.5. Assault rifles using Remington ammo such as the .223 had problems in Vietnam with muzzle flash and had to use flash supressors even though they had a 16 inch barrel. Muzzle flash would probably be even greater with XP-100 cause its barrel is only about 10".6. The fireball ammo .222 and later.221 is even more powerful and I suspect we would find that the XP-100 had pronounced muzzle flash.7. The muzzle flash emerges from the grassy knoll and is pointed at kennedy at the timing of the last (head) shot.Looking forward to more comments.

Question:

Are you referring to the (three) blue streaks (which flash out toward JFK) in front of the wall at the corner of the wall?

Jim
Johan van Leeuwen

Post by Johan van Leeuwen »

Bob Lilly wrote:Good Question Johan,It would be nice if we could get some more expert opinions. The more I look at it I become convinced that this is the Proof. 1. Note that the muzzle flash is cone shaped or funnel shaped spreading wider as it moves from the gun towards Kennedy. 2. The location, direction, timing of the muzzle flash and reaction of his head are perfect.3. I have some experience with guns and it looks like muzzle flash to me.4. The colors appear to be blue and greenish which are consistent with unburned elements emerging from the barrel such as copper oxide and barium nitrate.5. Assault rifles using Remington ammo such as the .223 had problems in Vietnam with muzzle flash and had to use flash supressors even though they had a 16 inch barrel. Muzzle flash would probably be even greater with XP-100 cause its barrel is only about 10".6. The fireball ammo .222 and later.221 is even more powerful and I suspect we would find that the XP-100 had pronounced muzzle flash.7. The muzzle flash emerges from the grassy knoll and is pointed at kennedy at the timing of the last (head) shot.Looking forward to more comments.

The place James Files claims he was standing was far more to the left. He was besides the tree that is left of the stairs. I.m.h.o. the muzzle flash could not have been that long.
Apart from that. The timing is i.m.h.o. also not right. The impact on jfk's head is about half a second later than the flash which is much too long.
Bob Lilly

Post by Bob Lilly »

Yes Jim, that is what I am referring to.
Bob
Jim Thompson

Impact point?

Post by Jim Thompson »

Bob Lilly wrote:Yes Jim, that is what I am referring to.Bob

The bullet impact occurs when JFK is just below the right corner of the white wall. Yes?
Jim Thompson

Reflection

Post by Jim Thompson »

Johan van Leeuwen wrote:The place James Files claims he was standing was far more to the left. He was besides the tree that is left of the stairs. I.m.h.o. the muzzle flash could not have been that long. Apart from that. The timing is i.m.h.o. also not right. The impact on jfk's head is about half a second later than the flash which is much too long.

The blue streaks are not muzzle flash per se. They are the lens refraction of the muzzle flash which is not seen as it occurs off screen, where Jimmy is standing by the tree. The lens captures the reflection of the flash, not the flash. The 1/2 second estimate is possibly not correct. The interval seems much shorter. Also, there is nothing in the dark area to the left of the wall which could have caused a solar reflection causing the blue streaks. The source of the blue streaks must be the bright muzzle flash off screen. No?

Jim
Bob Lilly

Post by Bob Lilly »

Johan,
Both good points.
The muzzle flash could be much much longer, dont forget the high powered bullet speed of probably more than 3000fps at this range. It also could be originating fom the trees 10 feet from fence corner and it becomes more visible as it is illuminated on the dark shadow of the wall. The hestitaion from the flash to the head piece flighing off is to allow the head to disintigrate. It's about right.

Jim,
Seems to me he is hit just before he is at the right side or beginning of wall and his head pieces leave just after.
Bob Lilly

Post by Bob Lilly »

Jim,
I see what you mean. The muzzle flash is reflecting from lens. Someone suggested that it could be the sun reflecting from the lens but I think not. Note that at 1230 the sun would be high in the southern sky, behind Nix. Also he has to rotate another forty degrees to the left near the end of the film when we see the sun reflect off the door of the Limo. But I suppose this could be a reflection on the lens caused by the super hot gases of the primer.
Bob