LHO and firing a Carcano left handed

JFK Assassination
Ray Mitcham

LHO and firing a Carcano left handed

Post by Ray Mitcham »

I have read that LHO supposedly fired the left handedly, i.e. he held the stock in his right hand whilst firing with his left. If this is so, how did he operate the bolt action on the rifle, (the bolt being on the right hand side and him having to reach over the telescopic sight with his left hand) so quickly and has any left handed marksmen tried the same operation? If so how did their times compare?
Dealey Joe

Re: LHO and firing a Carcano left handed

Post by Dealey Joe »

Ray this is something I have rolled over a few times.Lee was left handed and a lot of lefties are ambidextrous.So to me the fact that it is likely that firing from the window would have demanded a left hand shooter and no mater left of right it would be impossible to rapid fire using a right hand bolt.
kenmurray

Post by kenmurray »

Yes. About a minimum of 2.3 seconds to recoil the Carcano.
Dealey Joe

Post by Dealey Joe »

Hell of a difference from making a left hand shot and jacking a right hand bolt.would untrack the shooter and take considerable longer to recoil.I figure at least 5 seconds per shot minimum.Someone needs to do a test with a left handed shooter shooting a right hand bolt.Making a junker out of the Carcano is not a real solution.The Carcano has a Mauser design bolt and a mannlicher magazine.might have a beer can barrell and a 2x4 stock.
Bruce Patrick Brychek

LHO and firing a Carcano left handed ?

Post by Bruce Patrick Brychek »

10.19.2013Dear JFK Murder Solved Forum Members and Readers:05.15.2011 - Mr. Ray Mitcham Posted this very interesting Headline.Although only a short discussion followed, some curious facts, pointsof interest, and opinions were provided.This should be considered in conjunction with the other Headlines andPosts about LHO here on the JFK Murder Solved Forum.Any additional analyses, interviews, investigations, readings, research,studies, thoughts, or writings on any aspect of this subject matter ?Comments ?Respectfully,BB.