the shot that striked James Teague?

JFK Assassination
tom jeffers

Re: the shot that striked James Teague?

Post by tom jeffers »

barney,i believe there was testing done on the mannlicher carcano rifle. they tested 4 shooters frm 4 different guns and all had nitrates on theit cheeks. i cannot remember who did the testing, can someone help me here?
barney 1961

Post by barney 1961 »

Tom- most high power rifles of high quality have a hole bored in the left side of the action at the chamber, to relieve excress gas pressureshould there be a round failure but I doubt that sufficient gas pressure exists if the bolt is closed tightly, and the round fires as it should.The exceptions as I stated would be ruptured ammo brass and ruptured primers. Most of the ammo used in a Mannlicher Carcano rifle eventoday is of very old vintage as the Italian govt. discontinued mfg. of this rifle in the 1940's. I have read, that yes, the Carcano rifle did spewout a bright flame at the muzzle when fired and that the rounds when fired did sound more like a firecracer than a high power rifle. In factthe Carcano is really at the very low end of the high powered rifle spectrum in ballistics as to muzzle velocity, and terminal energy. Thatmay be the reason this rifle was selected, cheap, foreign, poorly designed, readily available in many Army-Navy surplus stores nationwide,and tons of ammo available of questionable vintage and quality. Degraded ammo is unreliable at best and if very old and poorly storedcomes with a warning label as such. Id ammo from Russia, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria etc of old end of WWII vintages.
Davyjones

Post by Davyjones »

I suspect I am talking to people who know about guns I think Oswald did not aim the rifle using the scope. How far from the rifle at the moment of firing would his head have had to have been for the parafin test to have been negative?